1. Plan your campaign
● Take time to gather information and learn as much as possible about the complex world of gaming and its ecosystem before diving in
● Gauge internal interest and assemble a project team
2. Reach out and make connections
● Stakeholder mapping is an essential step. Identify your stakeholders and their needs early on in the process
● Approach gaming companies and hardware companies to explore different models of partnership and collaboration
3. Launching fundraising efforts
● Launch efforts initially as a pilot project
● Try a few streaming platforms to find what best suits your audience. It is best to do your user research before deciding on a platform, as having to start from scratch after a failed attempt could be demoralising
● As you gather more insights, you can begin to scale up your campaign
4. Assess & gather feedback
● Implement a process of review and revision
● Gather data as you go along. Find out what works and what doesn’t
● Use this information to optimise and improve your campaign
5. Community building
● Build your network within the community
● Look for opportunities for collaboration
● Learn as much as you can about the gaming communities your service users inhabit and how they interact
● It is important to approach these interactions from a place of authenticity. Like any culture, the gaming world has its own standards. As a newcomer in these spaces, it is best to learn how they work before fully-launching an outreach campaign
6. Scaling up operations
● Consider your first campaign a programmatic pilot
● Once you have completed this campaign or got it to an advanced stage, take stock of what has worked well and what you have learned
● Discuss these learnings with your stakeholders and begin mapping your next campaign
Many thanks to Women Win for contributing this recipe.
This recipe is licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International Licence.
That means you are free to copy, redistribute, and build on the text of this recipe, but only for non-commercial purposes (if you want to use it for commercial purposes, get in touch with us at [email protected]). You must give credit to both Catalyst and Women Win and link back to this page. If you build on this recipe then you must share your version under this same licence.
Do you have thoughts on this recipe? We would love to hear from you.