1. Create an initial plan
● Form a team and assign roles
● Host a virtual meeting to brainstorm ideas
● Build a timeline for your day and the schedule of events
2. Decide how you will host the event
● Decide on the online platform that best suits your users
● This should preferably be one where you already have an audience and a following
3. Set up donation pages
● Set up donation pages ahead of time - one for each fundraising activity happening as part of your event
4. Start promotion and outreach, and organise corporate sponsorship
● Promote your event, your donation pages, and your schedule of the day's events on social media
● Find corporate sponsors in the local business community to boost your income
5. Showcase your charity's work
● Use the day as an opportunity to educate people about your charity
● Mix up your content with behind the scenes videos and use them to give people insights into your charity and its work in an engaging way
6. Schedule content
● Upload content on the platform ahead of time and have pre-recorded content ready - leave as little as possible to be done on the day
7. Follow up with supporters and donors
● Don't forget to thank anyone who signs up using automated 'thank you for booking' emails and keep them up to date with information on your event
● Ensure you're responding to comments and emails, answering questions, and keeping up interaction with supporters on the day
● Assign someone to oversee this role
● Some supporters may opt-in to further communications from your charity. Ensure that you keep engaging with these people and bring them in to your charity's community
8. Collect feedback and evaluate
● Keep people involved after the event
● Using a free survey tool like SurveyMonkey, collect feedback from attendees on what they enjoyed and what they thought could be improved next time
● Look at data from your fundraising platform and social media engagement and try to identify patterns you can learn from
Many thanks to The Orchard Trust for contributing this recipe.
This recipe is licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International Licence.
That means you are free to copy, redistribute, and build on the text of this recipe, but only for non-commercial purposes (if you want to use it for commercial purposes, get in touch with us at [email protected]). You must give credit to both Catalyst and The Orchard Trust and link back to this page. If you build on this recipe then you must share your version under this same licence.
Do you have thoughts on this recipe? We would love to hear from you.