1. Test to see what works
● Create trial settings to see what software is best for the service you are delivering
● Communicate with any partners you are working with, as they may have specific preferences or restrictions for software
● Ensure you organise the shifts of volunteers and staff effectively
2. Communicate with musicians
● Streaming live sessions virtually can be uncomfortable for musicians, so it is important to address whether they are feeling confident about doing this work
● Test how musicians deliver their live sessions, as you want to make sure the sessions are still engaging, fun, and interactive
● Guide musicians on structures and actions to make sessions the best they can be
● Host regular peer catch ups with groups of musicians, check-in with their welfare and work together to improve the experience for musicians and service users.
3. Safeguarding processes
● Plan a safeguarding review to cover any areas that wouldn’t have previously applied to face-to-face sessions
● Train staff and musicians on your new safeguarding policies
4. Planning and delivering
● Plan four to six weeks ahead of a session going live, to ensure all communications and requirements have been set up before the live date
● Send links and ensure sessions are booked into beneficiaries’ calendars
● Make sure a team member is on every session that is being streamed
5. Evaluation and feedback
● Use Typeform to get feedback
● Reaching beneficiaries is a challenge due to communication limitations, so speak to carers to understand how the sessions are being received
● Figure out what works best for your team and don’t be afraid to change as needed
Many thanks to Music in Hospitals & Care for contributing this recipe.
This recipe is licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International Licence.
That means you are free to copy, redistribute, and build on the text of this recipe, but only for non-commercial purposes (if you want to use it for commercial purposes, get in touch with us at [email protected]). You must give credit to both Catalyst and Music in Hospitals & Care and link back to this page. If you build on this recipe then you must share your version under this same licence.
Do you have thoughts on this recipe? We would love to hear from you.